JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f2038-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Space Heaters (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f2038-2013-playroom/2687732-space-heaters.html)

HappyBabyB October 23rd, 2013 08:13 AM

Space Heaters

Winter is coming!

Hubby refuses to turn on any sort of heat in the house in the winter. I am ok with that because I like it cold when I sleep and I like to be under a blanket when I'm watching TV and all that.

My question is, can I get a space heater and use it SAFELY in the nursery? Is there any risk to that? It's probably a dumb question but I just want to make sure.

MakeupMommy3 October 23rd, 2013 08:30 AM

Re: Space Heaters

I believe you can if you take the necessary precautions. Not near curtains, secure the cord..things like that. I probably wouldn't run it for too long, just to regulate the temp

~Kris~ October 23rd, 2013 10:25 AM

I don't feel comfortable using space heaters.

HappyBabyB October 23rd, 2013 10:33 AM

What's bad about them?

Would it be better to just keep the baby bundled up?

~Kris~ October 23rd, 2013 11:21 AM

The fire hazard is just something I am not willing to risk in the house.

Ironically, I have one going in the garage right now so that it would be warm enough for me to paint in there :lol: but on a cement floor totally away from everything I am okay with it.

How cold will it be? I'd worry with a preemie, but with a full term baby, they can typically regulate their body temp enough and will let you know if they are cold (by crying) We keep our heat over around 65* when the kids have been babies. Right now we have it at 62* overnight, but I have a feeling we'll do 65* once baby arrives. I dress baby in a onesie, sleeper, and then swaddle and since baby will be itty bitty and not moving around, I may even toss one more blanket over baby's lower half before I get into bed. I know some people worry about blankets, but when baby is that little, they typically can't break out of a swaddle and be able to move the blanket around.

HappyBabyB October 23rd, 2013 11:27 AM

It doesn't get very cold here, I think it might get into the 40's. I think hubby can deal with the heater at 65 if it gets too cold in the apartment.

I just don't want the baby to be cold, but if I bundle him up good like you said he should probably be okay. I'm just overthinking it lol.

mindyjean October 23rd, 2013 02:04 PM

My first son was born in the summer so we didn't use one until later with him. My second son was born during a cold spring, so I used a space heater when he was newborn and then every winter since. I mean, sure I know there are things that could go wrong, but I also know to not put it by anything flammable and be very mindful about it. Our winters get very cold in Iowa, so it's something I definitely plan to use with this baby--especially when I get up to nurse him in the middle of the night! There's nothing worse than cold nipples when trying to latch on! LOL

wewantaminime October 23rd, 2013 09:15 PM

I wouldn't use a space heater. I've had a cord melt right near the unit. Too risky. I think a sleeper and swaddled would be enough. If you have a ceiling fan you could turn it on the low reverse cycle to move the warm air down.

BlessednHighlyFavored October 23rd, 2013 09:40 PM

what kris said