JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   2014 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1956-2014-playroom/)
-   -   Prenatal massage! (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1956-2014-playroom/2719536-prenatal-massage.html)

Maddy6912 May 7th, 2014 06:02 PM

Prenatal massage!

I have my first prenatal massage tomorrow actually my first massage ever and im a little nervous. Silly I know but Im worried about being sore. What do you girls recommend to do before a massage? Should I drink a lot of fluids?

Amelya May 7th, 2014 06:12 PM

Re: Prenatal massage!

I have no idea, but I hear they are amazing!!!!! A guy I use to work with does them for his main job and he told me to be prepared for contractions afterwards, I never had one done, because I think he was also hitting on me. You will have to let me know how it goes, I certainly feel that is a much needed investment this pregnancy.

Maddy6912 May 7th, 2014 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amelya (Post 28074403)
I have no idea, but I hear they are amazing!!!!! A guy I use to work with does them for his main job and he told me to be prepared for contractions afterwards, I never had one done, because I think he was also hitting on me. You will have to let me know how it goes, I certainly feel that is a much needed investment this pregnancy.

Contractions? Wow had no idea thanks for letting me know I would be freaking out if I started contracting without knowing. It was only 50 dollars for an hour! Cant beat that, im so excited!

babymama10 May 8th, 2014 03:53 AM

What on earth do they do to ya to stimulate contractions? I have never heard about it.

Maddy6912 May 8th, 2014 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babymama10 (Post 28074631)
What on earth do they do to ya to stimulate contractions? I have never heard about it.

I know right!? Im nervous about it now!

Jennifer8080 May 8th, 2014 06:39 AM

A good massage therapist certified in prenatal massage should know what pressure points to avoid in order to not stimulate contractions. Make sure you drink lots of water after. Enjoy! They are heavenly!

lfavorite83 May 8th, 2014 06:41 AM

I've never had a prenatal massage, but I've had regular (Swedish, hot stone, deep tissue, etc) massages before. My mom used to be a massage therapist so I was her guinea pig :)

You don't need to do anything beforehand, but afterwards you should plan to keep it easy (nothing stressful!!) and drink lots of water. What happens when you get massaged is it releases toxins that build up in the muscles, and staying hydrated will flush them out. It is not supposed to hurt afterwards, if it does your therapist did a bad job. You can prevent this by speaking up on the pressure - you should absolutely speak up and say that the pressure is too light, too hard, or just right. A good therapist will ask you how the pressure is - and you may find that you like it deeper in one area, but lighter in another. I love it super deep in my back, but very light on my feet and legs.

A prenatal massage will likely be similar to a Swedish, but you will lie on your back or sides, rather than alternating between back and stomach. They will concentrate on problem areas that many pregnant women experience, like lower back pain, but you can tell him/her what has been an issue for you (if any).

Just relax and enjoy it!! You may become an addict afterwards :)

twoandonecoming May 8th, 2014 06:50 AM

I had quite a few prenatal massages when I was pregnant with Olivia and I never had any contractions with or after any of them, so don't worry just try to relax and enjoy it. They are amazing. :)

HalfDozen May 8th, 2014 08:30 AM

I am completely jealous! I tell hubby and the kids every time I'm pregnant that that's what I want. I have yet to get it....

StephcMc May 9th, 2014 05:05 AM

A bath with Epsom salts can help with removing the toxins after as well which will help prevent soreness. I've never had a prenatal massage but plan on it later on when I get larger! Good luck I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Maddy6912 May 9th, 2014 06:25 AM

It was amazing! I had no pain or contractions after. I fell asleep a few times. I felt as if I was floating in water. She said for a prenatal massage its mainly just for relaxation. I have never been so relaxed! Im going to become a member so I can get a massage once a month, so amazing.

pr1madona May 10th, 2014 06:12 PM

I contract at the drop of a hat and i've never contracted from a prenatal massage. Don't think that guy knew what he was talking about lol.

dyeanotherday May 10th, 2014 09:13 PM

Jealous! I want a foot massage!

TrinityDawnMaura May 11th, 2014 04:31 AM

I had a prenatal massage with my first baby. It wasn't as good as a regular massage, but then it doesn't feel good to lay in one position for more than 5-10 minutes when you are halfway through a pregnancy, lol. But it still felt great! Enjoy!