JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   2014 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1956-2014-playroom/)
-   -   Tossing names back and forth... (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1956-2014-playroom/2722419-tossing-names-back-and-forth.html)

Sylvera June 3rd, 2014 06:19 AM

Tossing names back and forth...

I think we are finally down to two front runners on our choices of boy names. Mind you, we still have 4.5 months, so something new might pop up or we might change our mind entirely, but for now we are thinking either Brock or Malcolm.

Brock has no history - it's just one of the few names that we've seen on baby lists that we actually like. It's growing on me, but I'm am not super in love with it the way I should be (it's my husband's favourite name, though). Hubby and I are both fans of strong, one-syllable names and that was the only one we could agree on that wasn't too popular, too strange, and stuck with us.

Malcolm is a really important family name, and both my brother and father have it as a middle name. It is my paternal grandfather's last name (and technically should have been mine before I got married) and I would love to pay homage to him by using his name. Even if we don't use Malcolm as a first name, it will be in there somewhere. I also like that it's not common and it does sound nice... my only complaint is that I can't think of a nickname for it.

I think that Brock sounds a little nicer with our last name (Kelly) but I'm not too concerned about that. I'm more interested in making sure our son has a name that he can be proud of, and making sure he won't be one of three in his class (I think I am already safe there). Which do you like better?

bugz June 3rd, 2014 06:43 AM

Re: Tossing names back and forth...

I personally think that Malcolm sounds better with Kelly. The only association I make with that name (Malcolm Kelly) is an actor named Malcolm Kelley (a kid, Walt, from the TV show Lost). I think Malcolm has a good meaning to it for you.

Names don't HAVE to have a nickname. He could just go by Malcolm. We're using Emmett and there isn't really a nickname for that. Em, Emme are too associated with Emily, but I'll be honest I'm probably going to call him Em or Emme. Met reminders me of lice nits for some reason lol and makes me think of the NY Mets.

Brock is a bit more harsh sounding to me and I'm not a huge fan. I think of Brock University, but that's it. I think I have a cousin with that name now that I think about it. To me, Brock is more modern sounding than Malcolm if that matters.

Malcolm Brock Kelly could always be an option. Brock Malcolm Kelly could also, but I prefer the former.

AmyLM June 3rd, 2014 08:23 AM

I like Malcolm more than Brock and I don't think you have to have a nickname, either. My oldest dd is named Allison. An obvious nn would be Alli. But, we call her Allison...or Monkey or monster, which have nothing to do with her name at all. :)

happy-ness June 3rd, 2014 08:33 AM

I like Malcolm best too, especially with the surname.

AlyssaMyahJulian June 3rd, 2014 09:36 AM

I like both...maybe use both?

butterflies.in.a.jar June 3rd, 2014 12:36 PM

What about Mac or Mack for a nickname for Malcolm? I like both of them, and I think they both work nicely with your last name, so I think it's just a matter of finding your favorite combination ;)

StephcMc June 3rd, 2014 01:38 PM

Both are good solid names. Malcolm reminds me of one of my favourite shows firefly, it was the main characters name. I like Brock too.

ashleyjo June 3rd, 2014 07:25 PM

Im obviously partial to Brock and I really like it with your last name.. nice strong name.. Brock Malcolm even sounds nice to me :) and the nicknames we've come up with with our brock are a riot.. ;) hes brock-olee, brock o deedle dee, brocko, deedo, brockalou, brocky (he calls himself that :wub: ) I will say brock is kind of making a comeback though :)

littlecloud June 4th, 2014 05:07 AM

Partial to Malcolm here! I think it sounds awesome with Kelly also.

Sylvera June 4th, 2014 05:17 AM

I thought about it a bit and decided that I think I also like Malcolm more. ;) Now for the tricky part - trying to talk my hubby into it! Thank you for your opinions, ladies!

HalfDozen June 12th, 2014 09:21 PM

I'm a little late to the party, but I LOVE the name Malcolm! I think it's a strong name, has sentimental meaning for you, and is common enough that it will not be mispronounced but not so common that there will be 10, or hopefully even 2, of them in any class. ;)

And I agree with some of the others. There does not have to be any nickname. I'm a firm believer in naming your children what you want them to be called. The only exception for my children is #4, but she was named after my grandma (Catherine), and we call her Katie (which was the same name my grandma went by). That was all done because she was due on my grandma's birthday.