Topic: Strep B :(
View Single Post
May 11th, 2010, 07:41 PM
Platinum Supermommy
so I wanted to be tested for strep B because I didn't want the baby to be given needless antibiotics if we had to be transferred to the hospital. I figured that I was negative with Jonah, so this one would likely be negative too.

Well, I had my midwife appointment today, and she told me it was positive. She gave me some literature on our options, but of course I feel like I need more before we can make our choice of what to do.

Does anyone have any info on this, or has anyone had a homebirth while being Strep B positive? What did you end up doing?

The midwife will provide me with the wash stuff, to kill some of the bacteria while I'm in labor. She's also suggested eating probiotics like Yogurt (what else would be a good source?) and we won't do any vaginal exams during labor. She also said we have the option of giving the baby a shot of penecillan (or however you spell it) right at birth, but she would need to order it so we need to make that choice very soon.

I'm also wondering, if we can't do vaginal exams during labor, what about dtd?? I am just worried that we could be transferring some of the bacteria. Should we stop?

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!