View Single Post
June 15th, 2006, 07:25 AM
Mistletoes405
We just mix Jacob's cereal in with his bottle, because we're lazy and it's just easier that way. But he only gets 1 tbs, so it's not really that "solid" once it's been mixed with 6 oz of formula. But, when we were spoon feeding him cereal I used to give him his bottle first, and then the cereal, because he seemed to get distressed if we did the cereal first because he was having to do too much work to not be hungry anymore. If he had the bottle first, he enjoyed the cereal more because he was already semi-content with something in his tummy. I don't think that it really matter how you do it...whatever works for your baby is best.

As for the food, they say that to monitor for reactions you should feed them one type of food for 3 days or so. If they're going to have a reaction to it, they will usually do so in that time. If after three days you've had no problems, try something new. Jacob still eats the 2 oz jars, and only gets veggies because they have less calories and he's still getting a fair amount of formula. The majority of thier nutrition should be coming from bm/formula still, so there's nothing wrong with that.

Our pediatrician told us that once Jacob could sit up on his own we could start giving him "cookies"...like, Biter Biscuits or arrowhead biscuits for snacks. I'd be too afraid that he'd choke, so I don't think I'll be doing that for quite a while. But if you want to try them, they sell them right along with the baby food and cereal at the grocery store.

As for weaning, you could always pump and then bottlefeed EBM. If you decide to use formula, what we usually do is take a bottle of water and a container of powdered formula in the diaper bag. If he gets hungry while we're out and about, we just put the powder into the water, shake it up real well, and feed at room temperature. If we're in a restaraunt or something, I'll run the bottle under hot water to warm it a little bit. Also, if you're going to be out for a short period of time and want to take a bottle just in case, you could always take a bottle of juice/water. That usually tides Jacob over for a couple hours.

Just follow your babies cues. If she is hungry, feed her!