Topic: Advice Please
View Single Post
July 14th, 2010, 05:26 PM
Mama To 3 Amazing Boys
On July 3rd, we went to my parents house for my uncle's birthday and the subject of Edward and schooling came up. And I told them that we were planning to homeschool. My mother's immediate response was "How would you have liked it if we alienated you from the world?" My reply "Well, living in a different city from where I went to school pretty much alienated me from other people my own age." My mother's response to that, "And how did that make you feel?"

So my dad says "Well, Edward is a bright star, he needs to shine and the only way for him to shine is to go to public school." My reply "Actually, Dad, I disagree because he'll be in there with other 'bright stars' and if he's home with me, he'll have the opportunity to shine brighter than he will in school." My dad's response to that, "Well, if you decided to homeschool him later, you can always pull him out and homeschool." So to end the conversation, I simply said I would think about it.

So last Saturday, we went over to my parent's house again and my dad looked at me and said "Did you register Edward for school yet?" And I said "No, because we have decided to homeschool." And my dad's response "I don't think you can." And I said "I've done all the research, to be a homeschooling parent, you don't need any certifications, only a tutor needs to be certified." And then they go on and on about how I have enough stress in my life and that there is NO POSSIBLE way I can homeschool Edward with a toddler and a newborn home with me...my focus will just not be 100%...So I told them about a homeschooling program that I found that is through the school district and supported by the teachers and that we would meet with a teacher once a week for his evaluation (or once a month, I can't remember) and he'll still be able to participate in the school activities such as dances, sports and the like. And my parents both immediately shot that down saying that I'm just incapable of doing this myself. That homeschooling is more expensive and if I need help with the financial part of public school that they're willing to help me. I don't really know what to do now. They expect me to put him in public school to "get his solid foundation" as my dad put it! I think it would make more sense to homeschool him for the foundation and then later if he wanted to go to public school, he can because he'll have MY solid foundation! It seems nothing I come up with (even fact!) will give them any way of seeing how this is really what is best for Edward. They basically told me that I'm not doing what is best for him and I'm not thinking of him in the long run and that I'm only going to turn him into some rebellious hellian!!!! UGH!!! I don't know what to do!
Baby #4 - Went to Heaven on 1.20.14
Proud Christian, Jesus Loving,Extended Breastfeeding, Co-sleeping, Babywearing, Cloth Diapering, Non-Vaxing, Homeschooling Mama!
I choose to Homeschool so I can give my children a Godly foundation, So they know His word and His truths!