View Single Post
July 15th, 2010, 08:39 AM
Recently, my DH and I got a call about a distant niece of his. His father was MIA after she was born and the mother is a Cocaine addict.

They tracked down the father and he waived all of his parental rights. The baby was taken from the mother after birth and she soon signed over her rights.

The baby is now five weeks old, is addicted to Cocaine because of the mother, and may have Fetal Alcohol Syndrome. They are unsure because the mother never admitted alcohol abuse during pregnancy, plus the Cocaine Addiction would be more important at the moment. We are the only relatives that are young and financially able to take the baby.

My DH and I have been wanting to adopt. After our son was born, we didn't want to risk another preemie baby and our doctor advised against try again for a biological child.

We are just really, really worried about the cocaine addiction and possible Fetal Alcohol Syndrome. If we don't take her, she would have to be put into foster, but if we do adopt her there are so many unknowns.

Please, any advice or experiences?