View Single Post
July 22nd, 2010, 02:01 PM
Ellemphriem said: No one in the article said that breast is not best gals.

Well, the title of the article is: When Breast Isnít Best: Questioning the Superiority of Breastfeeding That sounds rather confrontational to me.

All evidence shows that breast milk is superior to artificial milk, but this article really does question the validity of that science without providing any kind of empirical evidence to demonstrate otherwise.

It's an emotional issue. Many of us struggle with breastfeeding and feel guilty if we can't succeed. We feel guilty and get defensive. However, I have to question why are 85% of American women unable to breastfeed up to 3 months? Why do 40% of African American women not even try? If humanity had that kind of dismal rate of feeding our infants, I wonder how we managed to populate the planet?

Instead of polarizing the issue into some kind of "breast vs. formula" smackdown between moms, why don't we look at WHY some women struggle so much?

I don't judge an individual person for making the best choice for her family, but I do question the motives of the company that spends millions on marketing formula.