View Single Post
July 24th, 2010, 11:19 AM
Ephesians 4:29
Definitely for the Pre-k. I used it with Ben when he was already reading. The later books were worth it. We skimmed through the earlier ones to make sure he hadn't overlooked anything when teaching himself to read.

Here's the site: SS—LI Phonics & Word Study Explode The Code

There's an online version as well, but I don't know anyone who likes it. I'd much rather use the workbooks. Click the tab (midway down the page) to look at which version you want. Each lesson is appx 6-8 pages long. For example, if the topic for that lesson is "ch":

You'd have a page where you're given the word ("chair") and three pictures, so you'd circle the picture of the chair.

You'd have a page where you're given a picture ("chair") and three words, so you'd choose the word chair.

You'd have a page where you're given the picture followed by parts of the word to circle and write out. (So, they'd give you ch, th and sh, you'd circle ch. They'd give you a, ai, and ay, and you'd circle ai. They'd give you r, d, and t, and you'd circle r. Then you'd write out what you just circled - ch ai r - to spell chair.)

You'd have a page of reading sentences where they give you a picture and you choose the sentence that describes the picture.

You'd have a page of silly yes/no questions, like "Does a chair go on the bed?" (no) or "Do you want a chip?" (you could answer yes or no for that one)

They're really cute, and they have a lot of reinforcement. You can do all of the exercises or you can just do the ones that work best for you. There are also review lessons after about every 3-5 lessons. You can do them or skip them. If a particular lesson/book is too hard, you can go down a level or you can get the next half-level up for extra practice.

They're very self explanatory when you get your hands on them. It's hard to explain in type.