Caleb Vincent - July 24th (Home Birth Transfer)
View Single Post
July 29th, 2010, 09:38 AM
Join Date: Jan 2008
July 24th - 2:00 pm
8 lb 12 oz - 20.5"
I spent the morning of Thursday the 22nd walking the zoo with my grandparents and Brayden. It really wore me out and I swore I was done moving till I had a baby. Then the base DH works on had a picnic for all the families on Friday the 23rd so somehow I ended up out there in the sun again for 2 more hours. I left there at 1pm and was not feeling too great. I was drinking a lot of water though so I didn't think much of it.
Around 3:30-4 I noticed my contractions were become longer and I was starting to feel ill - like I had the flu, with body aches and some nausea. I kind of suspected I could be moving toward labor because I was very nauseous and vomited a lot when I had Brayden. We had dinner at 5:30 (pizza, not a good choice in retrospect) and I was feeling pretty bad by then - more nauseous with stomach cramps and contractions about 5-8 minutes apart. This is also the point where I started having a lot of diarrhea. I tried calling my midwife but got her voice mail so I decided to jump in the shower for 15 minutes and see if I felt better.
I didn't feel any better after my shower so I finally talked to my midwife and we decided she'd come over to check me out. This was around 6:15ish or so. I called my doula and let her know to be on alert and let DH know he should start setting up the pool. From here on out things just started to go downhill. I took a Zofran pill for the nausea. My contractions picked up and were coming at least every 5 minutes so I called my doula back and asked her to come over. My midwife arrived soon after and checked me, finding that I was 5.5cm, 100% and -1 station but my cervix would go to 6cm with a contraction. So everyone was confident and telling me I'd have a baby in a couple of hours.
Right after she finished the check I had to throw up (there went the Zofran since it hadn't had a chance to be absorbed) and use the bathroom again. I took another Zofran, this time a sublingual tablet. I laid down on my left side in bed and labored there a while since the tub wasn't filled yet. The contractions were pretty easy to breathe through and I credit my Hypnobabies studies for that, I was listening to the tracks the whole time and they really helped! My doula was rubbing my back. When the pool was ready I hopped in. Immediately I felt like something was wrong, I was burning up and sweating but my team kept telling me the water temp was perfect. I had a really hard time getting comfortable in there. Soon my pulse was racing and I could feel my heart pounding in my ears. My midwife checked my vitals and my BP was low and my pulse was high so she had me sit up and hang over the side of the pool. I threw up again because at this point I couldn't handle being in any upright position without intense nausea. They put ice on me to try and cool me off and get my vitals looking better, but that didn't work and soon I was back on my left side in bed.
Time really kind of blurs together after this. My midwife checked me once I was in bed and there was no change at all, it was around 10 pm then. I started wondering if I really would have my baby that night or not because I felt so horrible. I had diarrhea pretty frequently, but every time I would get up to go to the bathroom, it would set off another bout of vomiting. And - probably TMI - every time I would throw up I'd lose control of my bladder or bowels, so I ended up wearing Depends. If there's anything I'd like to forget about the experience, it's that!
My BP and pulse were still not too good after getting back in bed so they started looking for ways to hydrate me. I couldn't keep any water down so I was given the choice of an enema (still don't know how that was supposed to help) or an IV. I chose IV so my midwife had to call someone to come put it in (because my midwife is apparently not trained or licensed to do that). The other midwife with the IV arrived sometime between midnight – 12:30am and got that started. They said I'd know right away if it was working or not - after half a bag of fluid I didn't feel any better, in fact I felt even worse if possible, and the decision was made at that point to transfer me to the military hospital because my midwife felt that the situation was getting outside of what she was comfortable with. The midwife who started the IV checked me just to verify what my midwife suspected and they both found I'd actually regressed to 5cm, likely in response to the stress and dehydration.
We (me, DH, doula, midwife) headed out to the hospital at 1:45 am and got there a little after 2. I was checked in and still at 5cm/100%/-1. At that point my midwife left to go home. My doula stayed with me but decided to tell me then that she was not going to be able to stay either because she had some massage clients scheduled for the morning (I won't even get started on that). She was going to call her backup, who I'd never met, to stay with me instead. So essentially I was transferred to the hospital and both my midwife *and* my doula left me.
Thankfully the doula who replaced her was really nice and did a lot to help.
I'm still not quite ready to rehash every detail of the hospital experience so I'll make it quick from here.
From 2am - 7am I labored at the hospital, connected to an IV and monitors so I was basically swaying next to the bed and leaning over it when I needed to. I still had my Hypnobabies tracks but I was losing my focus quickly. I finally got IV medication for the nausea and diarrhea around 4 am. By 7am I was exhausted. I hadn't slept in over 24 hours. Although the vomiting and diarrhea had stopped I was still feeling sick as a dog. I asked to be checked because the contractions were 3 minutes apart and hurting so much, mostly in my back, that I thought I had to be near the end. The resident did the check and I was truly shocked to hear her say 5.5-6cm and -1 station - exactly where I had started out over 12 hours earlier.
At that point I kind of threw in the towel mentally. I had been through so much physically and was hurting so badly that I couldn't imagine going on like that any more. I had already lost my home birth because of things I couldn't control, the hospital experience was turning out to be as crappy as I had anticipated, my entire birth team deserted me (and DH had been sleeping since arriving to the room), and so I thought screw it, I'm getting the epidural. The new doula and I talked about it and she thought that under the circumstances it may actually help me relax enough to progress and have our baby.
I got the epi and around 10:15am the OB came in and checked me - 8cm but still -1 station. I consented to AROM in the hopes that it would bring the baby down. Around 12:30pm I started feeling some pressure in my hips and rear, they checked me and found I was complete with baby at +1 station. They left me a while longer to bring the baby down more. A little before 2pm I knew it was time so the room flooded with people, I got a mirror put up and started pushing. I was really surprised when he started coming out so easily! I pushed through 2 contractions, DH said it was 5 pushes total, and Caleb Vincent was born at exactly 2pm.
I've talked to my midwife since then and she thinks it was a combination of factors that led to the transfer - dehydration, hyperemesis (that part was a repeat of my birth with Brayden but since I was already in the hospital with him it was easier to manage), and probably a stomach virus since everyone around me has had some sort of stomach problem since then. My midwife said she spent the next evening in the ER with symptoms similar to what I’d had.
Thanks for reading and making it this far! It was a long and difficult experience but we're so happy to have this little guy!
Last edited by oriel13; July 29th, 2010 at
View Public Profile
Find all posts by oriel13