View Single Post
August 14th, 2010, 11:15 PM
Co-Host of Heated Debates
Abortion
Pro-choice. Often a very sensible choice. Should be available without restriction.

Drinking age
Absurdly and unnecessarily high

Political stance
tends to lean liberal with a strong social libertarian streak

Selective Service
Makes me uneasy, but I don't practically see a better solution. If our government chose their wars and foreign policy choices more wisely, I'd be more ok with it.

Gay marriage
No logical or good reason to ban it. Should be indistinguishable, legally, from straight marriage

Universal pre-k
Can be useful to lessen the gap between the classes, but it's got to be done correctly, or it could be absolutely disastrous.

Sex education
Should be fully available and optional in all districts. Abstinence only is a bunch of garbage.

Vaccinations
Not one iota of valid and well reviewed science has shown vaccines to carry an unacceptable level of risk. I vaccinate confidently.

Sin Tax
The only acceptable reason for taxation is to raise revenue, not influence behavior. Against.

legalization of marijuana
End the whole **** War On Drugs as far as I am concerned. Marijuana especially should be legalized. It's inconsistent and silly that it's not.

Universal Health care
"For profit" health care incentives waste and ineffective care. The fact that we persist with our current model and turn a blind eye to the poor's suffering is America's greatest shame. Health Care was the 100% largest voting issue for me in the last election.

"performance pay" for teachers
I'm not informed enough on this issue to have an opinion.

war
"What is it good for? Absolutely nothing! Say it again!" Seriously, they're sometimes unavoidable but mostly huge wastes of resources and lives

Methods of birth control
I don't care. That's for other people to decide.

How many kids people should have
It's none of my business how many others should have, really, but there is a point where I think having a bunch is a **** fool's errand

Vegetarian/eating meat
I think the price of meat is artificially lowered by sacrificing the humane treatment of the animals and the safety of the workers, but It's clear to me that we're biologically herbivores and the eating of humanely treated animals is as morally neutral as a lion making it's kill. We eat very little meat in this house because I only get it if it's from the local market. We do not eat lamb or veal. I cannot be arsed to care whether or not others eat meat.

gun control
Against against against. It's an idiot issue for the democrats to push. A government should not restrict technology from it's citizens.

death penalty
Expensive, ineffective, and unevenly applied. Should be stopped.

circumcision
I personally don't, but think it's not so important to demonize other mothers or throw around useless words like "mutilate.

Fertility treatments/Assisted reproduction
That's other people's business. It's too personal a decision for me to judge others on.

Assisted suicide
We treat our dogs more humanely than we treat our people, in my opinion. Would reduce health care costs by reducing the tremendous waste on end of life costs. There's a time for us all to accept that it's over and to let go.

Illegal Immigrants *not immigration POLICY
If the government did not realize that we benefit economically by exploiting illegal workers, there would be no illegal workers. Simple as that. I do not blame illegals for crossing, I blame the system that artificially lowers costs and allows people to be exploited.

Gender Selection
You mean, like aborting fetuses of certain genders? I don't like it but believe it's a woman's right, however idiotic that decision may be.

Fat Tax
This falls under "sin tax" for me. My opinion is the same.

Shopping Carts
They're useful for carrying multiple items at once. Consumers can help keep costs down and just generally be a good person by putting them in their proper places whenever possible. If they can't for whatever reason, it's not the end of the world.

Kids drinking soda/eating candy/poptarts for breakfast
Not a good idea as a habit or constant lifestyle, but the occasional soda or junk food choice isn't going to kill anyone. Providing good nutrition by monitoring a child's diet requires not much more vigilance than not and is one of the minimum requirements of a parent.

Peanut Butter bans in schools for nut allergies
For children with very sensitive allergies, it may be the best and safest option, and does not overly inconvenience anyone enough not to bother making the effort.

VBACs
Sufficiently risk free. Should be an option for any mother with any care provider or hospital. Can control health care costs and prevent waste.

Government involvement in citizens lives
Depends on the risk/benefit analysis. Generally, I'm wary of it unless it can be shown to provide great benefit.

Seat Belt law/ laws to protect citizens from themselves
Against. I get to decide whether or not to protect my own life and body, because my body belongs to me alone.

Unassisted Childbirthing
Can't be bothered to care if other people do it. Would NEVER want it for me

Plastic Surgery
I believe it's much better to age gracefully, but if someone wants to spend the money, they should have at it. I don't judge.

Chili (with or without beans)
Without. Not because I have strong opinions about the nature of chili but because I generally don't care for beans.

Welfare
I believe support for the poor and vulnerable is a hallmark of a good society and necessary infrastructure the government must provide.

dress codes for school/office
Because there's always one idiot who will show up in pajamas, they're probably necessary. I hate being made to cover up my tattoos though.

Elective C-sections/elective repeat C-Sections
I'd rather she save the system the $$ but if she chooses the Sections I can't stop her, nor can I be bothered to harshly judge her.

Introducing solids
6 months or older is best.

Car Seats
Rear facing for as long as possible is best. I'm not altogether sure how I feel about car seat laws.

Spanking
I look at it the same way a cop looks at his gun. It's there to ensure you always have a tool to ensure order but if you're doing you're job right, you should almost never have to use it.

Children and Pets
Proper care should be taken, but they can be a great way for older children to learn responsibility
and empathy for other creatures, which are vital lessons.

Nursing in Public
Where-ever a baby is permitted to be, the mother should be permitted to nurse. With or without a cover.

Cry it Out
Smaller increments of time at older ages is sometimes necessary to maintain order. At younger ages or for hours, no.

Television and Infants/Toddlers
Small amounts of time is fine. Parking kids in front of the TV all day or leaving it on all day is probably not advisable.

Caring for your elderly parents
Parents should endeavor to make their own plans, but as a child who chooses to help care for her mother, the rewards can be great if you choose to do so.

Diamonds
I think they're actually rather ugly, the worth is artificially inflated, and they come at great political and social cost to others. I do not buy them, and ask they are not bought for me

In-N-Out Burger
Not in my area. Never been

Reborn dolls
don't care.

Homosexual orientation/relationships
Biological origin. Not a choice. Perfectly valid and permissible lifestyle that costs others nothing.

Polyamory
Sometimes more sensible than monogamy. Perfectly valid and permissible lifestyle that costs others nothing.

Scary movies
Love them. I don't believe that violent media is a straight line to violent people, so I'm ok with it. As Plato said "the good dream of what the bad do." (Or something like that, I'm paraphrasing.)

Transcultural adoption
Difficult, especially if the country you're adopting from have bad social practices regarding infants.

Drug testing welfare recipients
Against for too many reasons to distill into one sentence.

"Luxuries" on welfare- vacation, designer accessories, upscale phones, TV w/cable, etc
I cannot be bothered to start deciding what other people are worthy of. If the income limits are high enough that one can afford welfare and these things, then lobby the government. Stay out of people's budgets. You have no right into them, regardless of circumstances.

Organized religions
Generally against, though I recognize that they are responsible for great charity

Mandatory breastfeeding attempts/prescriptions for formula
Against. A mother should have ultimate choice on how she feeds her child, even if we don't agree with that choice. What other choices are you comfortable having a doctor make for you?

Family beds
Don't care. If it works for a family, have at it.

TTC on assistance
Probably not the brightest idea.

Infants/toddlers in bikini style swim suits
Don't care.

Leash backpacks for kids
Great tool for teaching children and keeping them safe.

Beauty pageants
It's probably not a great idea to teach your child to place so much worth on their appearance that they will submit themselves to be judged on it.

TV watching for kids under age 2
Occasional viewing is fine. Mothers need to cook and clean sometimes too.

"I love mankind, it's people I can't stand."

Last edited by MissTorrieIfYou'reNasty; August 14th, 2010 at 11:34 PM.