View Single Post
August 16th, 2010, 04:40 PM
Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
Yes, I think that sounds totally normal, especially if they haven't had much female contact in the past.

I think at their ages, you should be able to talk to them about it. Just let them know that you enjoy spending time with them and you're happy that they feel comfortable with you, but you just need some personal space. I'm sure if their mom is deceased, they have issues with mom figures and worrying about losing you.

The discipline issue sounds a lot like me. I was very easy going on my bigger kids after their dad and I separated. I was always afraid that they were emotionally damaged from the divorce that I didn't want to do more harm to them by disciplining them. I learned, the hard way, that I was in fact harming them more by not giving them clear boundaries and consequences.

Anyway, I think that you'll find a way to make everything work you just have to be patient and go slowly. Blending two families together takes a lot of work on everyone's part. Talk to the kids (the older ones) and let them know your expectations and listen to them about what they want and expect from you.