View Single Post
June 24th, 2006, 09:19 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I've had two homebirths and I'm planning on a third with this one.

My mom works in the administrative offices of a hospital. When I had Xander and I told her that I was going to have a homebirth at frist she was fine. About two weeks later she called me and said some of her friends at work told her that having a homebirth was dangerous especially for a first time mom. When she first told me this I was completely at a loss for words. My grandmother felt the same way. So I went on-line... printed up a bunch of articles and bought The Thinking Woman's Guide to Childbirth and the Bradley book I used for my class and sent them to her. My Grandfather also took my side in all of this... he just looked at my grandmother and said to her... 'My mother had all of her kids at home and we're all fine.' After these things they didn't bring up the issue anymore.

For the most part the reactions I got was... 'Are you crazy? No pain medications!' That's what my friends said. But it helped that my one friend who was a nurse... her mother had 3 homebirths and she was completely fine with it. So my other friends took the que from her.

When I tell people now that I'm homebirthing and I get a 'are you crazy' reaction. I just tell them the experience I had with the other two and how much I turst my midwife... she knows exactly what she's doing!