View Single Post
August 30th, 2010, 02:15 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Since I'm adopting through foster care and also a foster parent we make what we call "Life Books." In these we put all information we can get. They are scrapbooks of sorts, but unlike most scrapbooks that only show the "nice stuff" in life, these show all parts of their lives. I journal everything that happens. Visits with family. When the family decided not to be a part of his life anymore. I try to put a positive spin on it all, but somethings are just hard.

This will be my son's book to have forever. Wherever he goes it'll go with him and he can read it or not as he gets older. I think it is very important that all kids have the option of knowing their history, but I don't think it should be forced on them either.

Also, I have a friend who is my age. She was adopted at birth by her biological grandparents. At her father's funeral her mother introduced her to everyone who came through the receiving line as "our adopted daughter." It just broke her. She felt so singled out by it. I know her mom was trying to explain why their daughter was SO young compared to them, but to her it just made her feel like not part of the family.

Thank you to AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggie!