View Single Post
September 4th, 2010, 01:12 PM
Mega Super TTC-er
I am 27, almost 28, years old and have been married for over four years. DH and I have been TTC for about a year now. I have knowingly had PCOS for over five years. I have unusual hairgrowth, like around the lower abdomen and the armpits, so I have to shave constantly. I also have brown thickness on the back of my neck.

I have Diabetes Mellitis and Diabetes Insipidis. The first is sugar diabetes and the second is water diabetes. My sugar diabetes is insulin-resistant.

My journey with diabetes insipidis is this:

Up until the age of fourteen, the Diabetes insipidus caused me to suffer from wetting the bed. I went to doctor after doctor and was constantly told I had urinary infections and got medication for it. But it kept returning. I couldn't go to a friends house for slumber parties because I was too embarrassed for wetting the bed. I was finally given a medication to take each night that picked up what my body couldn't make. It was a certain hormone that everyone's body creates that controls the bladder while sleeping, but my body didn't have it. This medicine made up for that. I was also constantly thirsty. I had to have something to drink almost at all times. I also had to go to the bathroom a lot. This still continues to this day.

It is also suspected that I have XPID.

My journey with XPID is this:

It stands for X-linked polyendocrinopathy, immunodeficiency and diarrhea-syndrome. This disease entials: Infertility, polycystic ovaries, insulin resistant diabetes, and diarrhea that never goes away. Sound like a nightmare? This is what I have to go through daily. And I'm not the only one. Women all across the world live with these symptoms day in and day out. Why only women? Because boys with this illness die before they are 6 months old.

This is a rare genetic disease that falls under Autoimmune Diseases. There are many diseases that fall under Autoimmunity. The most serious but rarest form {of the autoimmune polyendocrine syndromes, which in itself is defined as 'a heterogeneous group of rare diseases characterised by autoimmune activity against more than one endocrine organs'} This is due to mutation of the FOXP3 gene on the X chromosome. Most patients develop diabetes and diarrhea as neonates and many die due to autoimmune activity against many organs. Boys are affected, while girls are carriers and might suffer mild disease. (boys die because it is affected on the X chromosome and boys only have one X chromosome)

To read more on XPID, you can go here.

I will be posting here hopefully often and give updates.