View Single Post
September 11th, 2010, 01:52 PM
Brighteyed & Caffeinated
Send a message via MSN to mommy2olliebeans
Update: I met with the lawyer on Wednesday, and he would like us to try and find out her address and he is going to draw up a consent letter and attempt to have her sign it.
We all feel that she will not sign, so in that case, I think the lawyer will ask the court to do it without her consent.

the criteria for dispensing with consent are:
1. abandonment of the child (last contact with the child was in may 2008)
2. not putting in reasonable effort to fullfil parental obligations (she was given joint-custody with DH in June 2008; she has never seen Jassy since that court date)
3. not having the ability to care for the child (an assessment was completed by a registered psychologist and it states taht it is recommended that bio-mom never has children in her care unless she is supervised 24-hours a day, seven days a week)

I don't think she has a leg to stand on in this situation, and I am hoping that this goes smoothhly..... She is able to get a lawyer through legal-aid, so unfortunately we know that she will probably try to go to court with us, but I don't see it being a drawn out thing...

Jassy was born in January 2008... When DH was fighting for her, she was in foster-care, and the bio-mom was already pregnant again (different dad).... She gave birth in December 2008 to Jassy's little sister. That child was in fostercare from day 1, and is now adopted.