View Single Post
September 11th, 2010, 11:54 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Good news is usually fast labours are very safe
SO I would either put clean towels on the floor or get into the tub with water - whatever feels good. (you don't want to slip around on tile and amniotic fluid!) Have a dry warm towel for wrapping you and baby up once baby is born - and an extra one for drying baby off.
Give birth however you are comfortable - just make sure if you are upright you get your hands down there to catch baby if you need too. As baby comes out - look at the head and neck - use your fingers to unwrap the chord if it's wrapped around the neck (this happens about 1/4 of the time). If for some reason the amniotic sac doesn't break - use your fingers to open it up and let baby out. Don't be upset if baby is rather blue at first - they often take a minute to pink up - it's fine. Just rub them and talk to them. once baby is all the way out put them on your chest - to try and nurse - and just be warm and cuddle - wrap both of you up in a warm dry blanket or towel and wait for the placenta. You can apply pressure to your belly to get the uterus contracting and help the placenta out. Nipple stimulation will also help. DO NOT cut or pull on the chord. It's safe to leave on till it falls off! Belly pressure and nipple stimulation will also help with PP bleeding. Chill out till assistance arrives
I'm sure others will have more to add - I'm not a doctor midwife or doula - I just read lots

Thank you Kiliki for my first beautiful Siggie!

mom of 2 angels and an earth baby