View Single Post
September 15th, 2010, 11:42 AM
Platinum Super Mega Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by My2miracles View Post
We're on the opposite end. My kids are spoiled & do no chores - because I believe school is their job & the rest they should be kids. I sacrifice my own things - buy clothes 2nd hand, dye my own hair, drive a 7 year old van etc to buy my kids as much of what they want as I can. I also have always worked full-time.

Dh's ex is the opposite. She spends $100 every 2-3 weeks on her nails, takes vacations without the kids, etc. It's all about her. She didn't work until her kids were 10 & 14 and then it was only part-time. Her kids don't get as much as mine. She also put a lot of chores on them etc.

Just as I don't expect her to change the way she parents, I won't change the way I parent. They are my kids and if I want to be an overindulgent mom then I will. I was that way before I had step-kids & I'm not changing it.

I know that there are issue with that with the oldest. But I can't help that. I will not make my kids go without because her mother does. I feel bad for them but I'm still the kind of parent I am.

Make no mistake, my kids jobs are 1) school... 2) family/God/church & 3) chores...the rest is fun or activities like bball or soccer, which ever they want. Priorities will always be education, always! None of my kids will require to work a part-time job as long as they are in school full-time, college included, again, they must be in college full-time. And again, help out around the house, clean up after themselves, be responsible, healthy boundaries, nothing major.

For the record (and this is sad) I'm still wearing what I called my maternity clothes for my son that I had in 2000 to date! That's right, same undies, same clothes, everything down to the same socks. Yes, I've bought some stuff, but not much. I do not get my nails done. The only thing I do for myself is my hair, and that's pushing it, I don't even do that as much. I give EVERYTHING to my kiddos. If they want something special, I make it happen. But, when you are a family of 6, and you have some unexpected bills that have set you back (some more so than recent) you might not be able to do as much as you use to do.