View Single Post
September 25th, 2010, 02:09 PM
Say, "Irish Wristwatch."
Abortion: Personally against unless it's an issue of rape, a quality of life question for the fetus (IE knowing for sure it will be born with severe and debilitating problems that will ultimately lead to an early death) or if it's a question of life and death for the mother. Those are the only circumstances in which I would get one. For everyone else, well, I don't think any government body ought to be telling people what they can and cannot do to their bodies. Get the government out of my uterus.

Drinking age: I think the drinking age should be abolished altogether. Stores should only sell alcohol to over 18's, but as far as actually drinking it goes, people should be accountable for their own actions.

Political stance: Meh. I'm about as socially liberal as they come, but very fiscally conservative in some ways. My belief is this: unless I am doing something that is hurting someone else or infringing on someone else's right to live in their way, the government ought to stay the heck out of my life.

Selective Service: Dunno what that means.

Gay marriage: For, for, for, a million times, FOR! It is a tragedy that some places in the world still treat gays, lesbians and bisexuals as second class citizens. I'm halfway gay (bisexual) myself, if I met a woman, I would love to be able to marry her just as I'd be able to amrry a man if that were the case.

Universal pre-k: Meh. Indifferent. I homeschool, so as long as I can continue to do that, the US can continue to run its system into the ground all they want. A year of extra school will not help things. It may hurt them, actually, considering I think schools in their present state do far more harm than good.

Sex education: In public schools, 100% for it. I went to school for middle and high school in Toronto and New York respectively, and we had a passable sex ed in both places. I hope that has not changed in the 11 years since I left school, but I have a sneaking suspicion that it has likely only gotten worse.

Vaccinations: Personally against. Don't care what anyone else does.

Sin Tax: I don't know what that is. Is it something the Christian Right has proposed? If it has anything to do with or if it has been proposed by the religious sector of society, I am certainly against it. The Church and the State do enough damage separately. To have them working together is certain disaster.

Legalization of marijuana: For. As with alcohol and cigarettes, I am for personal responsibility and against the government telling me what I can and can't do if it has no bearing on anyone else and if I am committing a victimless "crime."

Universal Health care: I think there should be a default universal option so that people need not suffer and die just because they can't afford the insurance company's fees which are basically highway robbery. I also think private insurance should still be an option, as it is in most countries which have adopted UHC.

"performance pay" for teachers: Again, meh. As long as I can keep homeschooling, I don't care.

War: Which war? The ones in Iraq and Afghanistan? Against. War in general? Depends on the motivations and the situation. I am against war altogether, but not against entering a conflict when needed (like in WWI and WWII) or defending one's country from an invasion.

Methods of birth control: Whatever. I personally use an implant.

How many kids people should have: However many they want as long as they're good to them and I'm not footing the bill. I can't say I'm thrilled with the religious people and their manifesto to "outbreed" the competition and take over, but whatever. If I happen to meet the right partner, I'd be happy to have a large family if he/she so wishes.

Vegetarian/eating meat: I think consuming red meat (cows especially) at the rate Americans do is appalling and a seriously destructive way of life, both environmentally and health wise. I eat red meat myself, but never as a primary protein and never as the meal itself.

Gun Control: For in the case of assault weapons, against in the case of hunting weapons. If you have no intention or inkling to kill another human being with a weapon meant for it, you won't object to not being allowed to own it.

Death Penalty: Meh. Against, mostly because of the idea that even with DNA technology and the like, there are still people falsely imprisoned for crimes they didn't commit.

Circumcision: Vehemently against.

Fertility treatments/Assisted reproduction: For if you want to do it.

Assisted suicide: For.

Illegal Immigrants *not immigration POLICY: For. The country's economy would collapse without them. No human being seeking a better life is "illegal." I think we will look back on this, in 100 years, and be ashamed of the attitudes and measures against these desperate people. Or at least I hope so.

Gender Selection: For, if that's what you want to do. Personally, neutral on the subject. But I think it should be available.

Fat Tax: For. If people are going to consume more than their fair share, they should pay more than their fair share.

Shopping Carts: ? What about them?

Kids drinking soda/eating candy/poptarts for breakfast: Don't care. It's actually better for kids to eat sweet/sugary things in the morning than it is at night, more time to metabolise and burn off the calories. I don't have food rules in my house, I believe given equal availability of a variety of foods, children and people in general (who haven't been screwed up with bad ideas about food and nutrition) will choose a healthy and varied diet for themselves. Thus far, after almost 7 years of raising my girls, I've been proved 100% correct.

Peanut Butter bans in schools for nut allergies: Ridiculous, but as with all other school related things, I don't care as long as it doesn't affect me.

VBACs: For.

Government involvement in citizens lives: Against.

Seat Belt law/ laws to protect citizens from themselves: Don't care. I'm smart enough to wear a seatbelt and to strap my kids in. If other people want to be stupid and break their necks, that's up to them.

Unassisted Childbirthing: Done it twice, 100% for if that is your decision and you are comfortable with it.

Plastic Surgery: Personally against (says the 28 year old me), for anyone else, neutral. What you do with/to your body is your business.

Chili (with or without beans): I do not care for chili.

Welfare: For, but only when it is used as intended - to help someone in a bad situation get on their feet again. I do not think it should be used to support peoples' lifestyles (IE SAHM on welfare to avoid working) or just as a way to be lazy. There should be more accountability.

dress codes for school/office: School: Against it at public schools, private schools can write their own rules. Office: For, if it is a private business.

Elective C-sections/elective repeat C-Sections: I think it's misguided and dangerous at best, and I'm personally against all but absolutely necessary c-sections as a last resort, but I won't say anyone else can or can't.

Introducing solids: I personally do it later, at around 8-10 months or so.

Car Seats: For, but not to the lengths the law goes on it. The law in my current state is 8 years or 4'9" tall. I was 4'8" in middle school (now 5'8", but that's a different story!)! I can't imagine being in a carseat at 12. I think carseats are a good thing, but I do not believe in laws regulating the use of them.

Spanking: VEHEMENTLY against. I consider it abuse, and think as with other abuses that harm people (domestic violence, even hitting a random stranger, etc) it should be against the law and considered assault. You can't hit your wife, you can't hit your friend, you can't hit a stranger, you can't hit your employee, you can't hit your dog... but you can hit a vulnerable, innocent child? What is wrong with that picture?

Children and Pets: FOR!

Nursing in Public: FOR!

Cry it Out: 100% against.

Television and Infants/Toddlers: A little is fine, but it's not something I encourage them to do all the time.

Caring for your elderly parents: If they deserve it.

Diamonds: As long as they're come by in an ethical manner, for, I guess. At least it isn't something ultra destructive, environmentally speaking.

In-N-Out Burger: Dunno, never eaten there.

Reborn dolls: Creepy, but if it makes you happy.

Homosexual orientation/relationships: What about them? Some people love people of the opposite gender, some people love people of the same gender, some people don't care about sex at all, some people like both. Where's the big deal?

Polyamory: If it works for you. Not my personal cup of tea.

Scary movies: YAY! And they're good for kids to see sometimes, as long as they're not forced upon someone who doesn't want to watch them. My kids love scary movies. My 6y/o thinks "Sleepy Hollow" (the Johnny Depp version) is hilarious.

Transcultural adoption: For, as long as the adoption is ethically conducted.

Drug testing welfare recipients: For.

"Luxuries" on welfare- vacation, designer accessories, upscale phones, TV w/cable, etc: Against.

Organized religions: I think in general, the Big Three (Christianity, Islam and Judaism) do more harm than good. The first especially.

Mandatory breastfeeding attempts/prescriptions for formula: Fun idea, but no, as it would require more government intervention into a non-abusive, non-criminal situation.

Family beds: For, and loving it!

TTC on assistance: Against.

Infants/toddlers in bikini style swim suits: For. Easy on, easy off.

Leash backpacks for kids: For the LULZ! I think they're ridiculous but they sure are fun to watch in a sad-funny kind of way. I never saw one until I moved back to the US 3 years ago. I was quite bewildered at first.

Beauty pageants: Creepy. Against it if the child doesn't want it. If the child does, for I guess.

TV watching for kids under age 2: Don't really care. I don't personally encourage nor discourage my kids (now older than 2) from TV, but I do provide plenty of alternatives and stuff to do outside, so it is a non-issue in my house.