View Single Post
September 26th, 2010, 08:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
To be made at least 5 weeks before drinking.

*Supplies*
  • Pint or quart canning jars with lids
  • Brandy (any brand)
  • Star Anise
  • Cinnamon sticks
  • Vanilla beans
  • Whole black pepper corns
  • A few oranges
Clean the jars, ideally you would boil them like you do when canning. However you can just wash them, since the Brandy will basically kill anything left over after washing it.

Wash/scrub the oranges under running water, and then cut them into chunks. I found it easiest if I quartered or sliced the oranges as if you were going to have a snack and eat it off the rind. Then I just cut the quarters cross wise, so that all pieces of orange going into the jars was still connected to the rind.
Fill the jars with the oranges. You don't have to pack it in, but make sure you have enough to fill the jars from top to bottom.

Next, for 1 pint add 1 star Anise, 1 4-inch cinnamon stick, 1/2 of a vanilla bean (slice it long ways to cut it into two pieces), and about 12 black peppercorns. Put this all in the jar with the oranges (it doesn't matter if they go in before or after the oranges. If you are doing quarts then double these items.

Last of all, fill the jars with the brandy, and leave about 1/2inch space at the top.

Then put the lid on and store in a dark accessible area.

Every day for the next 2-3 weeks shake the jar at least once a day to promote the fusion of flavors.

Then use a paper coffee filter or a few layers of cheese cloth and strain the fruit and spices from the liquid. You can use the left over oranges as a dessert topping with a kick!! Once the liquid is strained, replace the liquid back in its jars (or into fancy bottles/jars) and let it sit for another 3 weeks. There is no real need to shake it anymore, but it won't hurt it either.

There is no expiration date on the brew as long as you remove all the fruit from it after 2-3 weeks.

Ask me about dōTERRA Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade Essential Oils!

Or click on the picture above to visit my Facebook page!