View Single Post
September 28th, 2010, 11:45 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I know this is an older post, but I wanted to add my son's story.

Usually, when he is trying to do something and can't, I'll hear him start whining and getting upset. I'll ask him what's wrong (the first time I had no idea why he'd be upset), and he'll turn to me and sign "help". Most of the time he gets upset and asks for help it's because a toy is stuck (which was the case the first time I remember him asking for help).

Sometimes he'll randomly run up to me and ask for "help" and I'll ask him what he needs help with and he'll run off to show me ... today he wanted help getting a stick that is stuck underneath something heavy. The other day when he signed help at the playground, and when I asked him, he pointed to the slide. He wanted help going down the slide. =D

When we first learned the sign, I made sure to ask him "Do you need help?" and make the sign for help. Or when I'd be doing something (like making coffee), I'd ask him if he wanted to help and make the sign. He seemed to pick up on it fast. His version of help is one hand shaped like the E smacking into his open palm. But I know what he means and it makes me so proud to see him understand!

Thank you so much to Typical Vampire for my awesome siggie!!