View Single Post
October 14th, 2010, 05:58 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I chose natural.
With my first pregnancy, I just wanted to know if I could do it. After 17 hours of back labor with 3 long hours of pushing, I felt like an Amazon queen when she was finally born with no epi.
With my son, labor felt like nothing. I had no back labor, just normal contractions, and I breezed through it. I spent from 6-7 cm to 10 cm in the tub, just hanging out and talking with DH, and I only pushed for 30 minutes. He was 9 pounds 12 ounces! The midwife and I both almost fell off the bed when the nurse yelled that one out

I guess for me it just seemed unnecessary. I know that the medication increases risks all around, and I was pretty sure if I just went into it with the right mindset i would be fine, so I just decided I was going to tough it out, and I'm glad I did as I've heard recovery is harder too after an epi.
The clincher for me, though, was reading during my first pregnancy that the nurses in the nursery can tell the babies whose moms had epidurals from the natural babies just by looking at them. I was like Don't you put that stuff near me! I'll just take the pain, thanks!

Married to my best friend for a decade.
Mom to:

Cassidy, 6.5 yrs. Born 10/23/07, 7 pounds 10 ounces, 20 in.

Joel, 4.75 yrs. Born 6/23/09, 9 pounds 12 ounces, 21 in.

Timothy, 2 yrs. Born 3/20/12, 9 pounds 4 ounces, 22.5 in.