Topic: time out??
View Single Post
October 14th, 2010, 12:07 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I think timeouts can be really helpful when done right. We're not at the timeout phase yet, but I've dealt with timeouts while watching other people's kids.

It'd probably be really hard at first, but worth it in the end. It might take 100 times of putting her back the first 2 or 3 times, but once she figures out it's not a choice, it'll get easier. If you cave once, then they will try to make you get to that point of caving again.

I also found that being non nonchalant about it helped. Just "We keep our hands to ourselves, now you have to go sit on the stairs." It's a good time for the parent to take a breather as well (especially if they did something to you).

I had a bad temper as a kid and wish my parents would have used time outs to diffuse it. Instead of teaching me how to calm myself down, they would get upset, which only made me get more worked up. It didn't happen often, but when it did, I was out of control. When I was about 10, I realized that extended family talked poorly about my behavior issues behind my back. I was so embarrassed that I tried to keep in line from them on. Definitely the hard way to learn to behave.