Topic: time out??
View Single Post
October 15th, 2010, 05:08 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree with everyone.
Cheryl, you've met Mia, we started using time outs when she was around 2, I guess. Just the threat of a time out is enough to get her back on track now. I always counted her down to it, 'if I count to three and you haven't done/stopped doing..." then 1-2-3 (slowly) pick her up and put her in the corner (our time out place).
They will not stay there at first, it's hard the first few times, but if you're consistent, it'll get better. If she wouldn't go or stay in time out, i would increase her time there. So i would say 'you need to go in the corner for 1 minute' and if she was non compliant i would nonchalantly say ' it's up to you, but if you don't go now, it will be 2 minutes (then 3, then 4 etc). It always worked. I used the microwave timer to countdown her time out.
Also, the nice thing about having a corner as a time out place, as opposed to a specific chair or step or something, is that there are corners everywhere, so if you're not at home, you can still be consistent.
Last thing, it was mentioned above but is very important, AFTER the time out, ask her why she needed it and how she can do better next time (you will be amazed at the answers), and then tell her you love her with a big hug!