View Single Post
July 3rd, 2006, 06:04 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm replying as a DIL. During the first week after having my baby I didn't want for anyone to come over - honestly. It wasn't anything against the people it was just that I was so exhausted & it seems as if no one cares about you anymore - it's all about the baby. Make a conscious effort to ask your DIL how she is feeling (but don't go into detail asking her about how many stitches she got etc. - just say I know you must be exhausted, is there anything I can do to help?) My Mom came and stayed with me for 2 weeks after I had the baby (she lives out os state) and honestly it was wonderful. She did everything around the house and I just took care of the baby. She only took her when I needed to sleep. As time goes on and your Son, DIL & baby get into more of a routine it will be easier. Schedule your visits when it is convenient for them or have them call you once the baby is done eating so you can come over for a little while and play. I hope that this helps...I know it must be hard for you to not get to see your grandson as often as you'd like right now but in time it will all get better & before you know it you'll be having him spend the night & taking him out on "Grandma & Me" trips!

ETA: My MIL & I get along great & I love her to death. In fact, she watches the baby all the time now during the day for a few hours...