View Single Post
October 25th, 2010, 06:16 AM
Jennifer the Momma
I can't really handle Ina May, I struggle to read her stuff. I do love "Active Birth" by Janet Balaskas (minus some of the spiritual side of yoga that she gets into, I had to skip that). She really explains the science of how birth works and that helped me sooo much. I just finished reading "Childbirth Wisdom" by Judith Goldsmith, it's about tribal birth and it was fascinating. There were a lot of things that the tribal people did that have been proven wrong (like denying a baby seemed to scare them because it made the baby poop a ton-but now we know they NEED to poop a lot after birth to clear out their intestinal tract), but the way they handled birth was really amazing. Right now I'm reading "Gentle Birth Choices" by Barbara Harper. I've only just finished chapter 1, but I like it a lot so far. She's one of the first to have a water birth in the US.

I think it's AWESOME that you are learning NOW and wanting to be prepared. You can do it! I'm a huge wimp too (ask my dh, I cry about tiny little pain), but I've done it twice now without meds and I'll never look back. Doesn't mean I won't bed during labor (when transition hits), but yeah.

And read birth stories. Any, homebirth, natural, purposely medicated, hospital, can learn little bits of things from all of them. I was recently rec'd the book "The Baby Catcher" by Peggy Vincent. It's a colleciton of birth stories. So far I really like it a lot.
"Unborn children should be welcomed in life and protected in law." George W. Bush

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.