Topic: MIL Debate
View Single Post
October 31st, 2010, 11:22 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm so sorry you are going through all of this. My DH was the opposite and I told him MIL could come to both our son's births and although he did ask MIL if she wanted to, he did say he'd feel weird having her there (more for the hospital birth than the homebirth and MIL was at our home for awhile, but long gone before baby arrived).

This birth is about you becoming a mother and bringing your precious baby into this world. It is not about making your husband happy, or your mom happy or your MIL happy. It's about bringing a baby onto this earth as safely as possible. You really do need to feel comfortable in labor, stress, anxiety, awarkdness etc. are not welcome in labor and birth. Those will hinder the birth process. He needs to realise that and that if you're not comfortable with his mother there than it's best that she isn't there. And have YOUR mom at the birth with you is usually a tradition (of course not everyone does, but most people that I have worked with had their mom with them). Having your mom with you is comfort. I hope he comes around and understands, or that your Doula can help. Maybe you could even talk to your MIL and explain to her.