View Single Post
November 16th, 2010, 06:59 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
I wish I had started this sooner, but going forward from where we are at. Natalie is 13 weeks 3 days. We have been supplementing since she was 3 weeks due to low milk supply. I have had supply issues with most of my kids. My first two I wound up weaning very early on because I did not have the right support system in place. I have insufficient glandular tissue. I did not realize this existed with my first 4 kids. I always knew I had small and uneven breasts, but it wasn't until I got more educated on breastfeeding and had access to the internet that I found out exactly what the problem was. With child number 3 and 4 I was able to exclusively breastfeed without many problems. Kaelan (#3) I finally realized if I nursed more on my larger breast the one that does not have much milk making issues that I could increase the output to compensate for my lower producing side. We made it to a year when I got pregnant with Chrissy. He weaned shortly after me finding out I was pregnant. My other 3 kids I exclusively breastfed. I had problems early on with slow weight gain, but my supply usually catches up by 6 weeks. Leo I also had supply problems and he wound up in the hospital with failure to thrive by two weeks. I supplemented with him for a while until I was able to get him off of formula.

Natalie is proving to be my most challenging and depressing breastfeeding experience. I resisted supplementing until I seen her going a week stretch at a time without gaining any weight. I also rented a baby scale so I can see how much she takes in. My supply is still low. I have made some improvements, but it is still not where it should be. I do all my measurements in grams which is more precise than ounces, but I will convert for this journal to give perspective.

Initially I was making 28-40 grams (.93 ounces - 1.33 ounces) per feeding and some as low as 10-15 grams (.33 ounces -.5 ounces)per feeding. I am now averaging anywhere from 95 grams (3.16 ounces) high side to 25 grams (.83 ounces) low side.

Things I am doing right now. I am using Domperidone, More Milk Special Blend, and Goat's Rue. I also just started an iron supplement and multi vitamin to see if that will help. I am using an SNS which Natalie hates, but she was quickly resisting the breast with bottle supplements. Every 2 weeks I have done a "nursing sabatical" or as close as I can get to one with 7 kids to see if I can get her off of the formula. Basically I will try it for a few days and if I can't keep her weight up I will go back to the SNS to get her weight up and try it again in a couple weeks. This has been very upsetting and taking an emotional toll on me, but I am kind of stubborn so I keep trying. I also try to do weigh-feed-weigh to determine her intake periodically throughout the day so I can see if I am making progress. I will share my logs in this journal on the days I feel up to it. I have been having a hard time understanding why I was able to overcome supply problems with my other kids and not yet with Natalie. The only thing I can think of is my age. I had 3 early miscarriages before my pregnancy with Natalie so I kind of suspect there may be something off with my hormones, but I can't figure out what and if there is anything I can do to change it. I have had my thyroid levels checked and thus far they have been fine. Not sure what else to check.

Anyhow, that's our story. (PS I am okay with comments in my journal.)

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama