View Single Post
November 18th, 2010, 01:59 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
That's very normal with birth centers just an fyi. I don't know of any freestanding birth centers that offer any type of medicinal pain relief.

I've been through natural childbirth 3 times and it's been different every time. Yes, it hurts; yes, there were times I questioned my decision to go natural; yes, it probably is the worst pain you've ever felt. But it was worth it. It was worth being able to get up and feel good immediately after the birth. It was worth having an alert baby that breastfed right away. It was worth not having any lingering pain or other side effects. It was worth the empowered feeling you get afterwards.

If they offer non medicinal pain relief measures (which I'm sure they do), learn about them and how they can help. Water therapy, birth balls, massage, and other things CAN help. Going into it with the mindset that you can do it will help. Keep yourself open to the idea that things might not work out the way you planned, but don't EXPECT it to go differently. You don't want to be overconfident to the point where you spiral into depression afterwards if things happen different than you planned. But go into it believing in your body, and go into it and DO YOUR BEST for the situation. Your best is not someone else's best, your best right now is not your best 5 minutes from now.

sorry, kinda said more than I intended at first LOL. Anyway, the point is - you can do it, it's worth it. And if circumstances don't allow you to go totally natural, that's okay too.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!