View Single Post
November 18th, 2010, 07:10 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Linzie
So we are seriously looking at getting dog for our new house. We've wanted one for a long while, but didn't have the space. Now we have the space (1 acre of land!), the only problem is, the space has been broken into twice now. We have definite reasons to suspect the Heat&Air company that has been installing the new central heat/air system, but just in case it's the neighbors....

So, what would you consider the best family/guard dog? I have a 10 yr old, 7 yr old, and 6mo old. We need a dog that will intimidate people coming up to the house, but family friendly, and preferably with a loud bark.

DH is really wanting a German Shepard, that is his absolute favorite type of dog. My favorite type of dog is a Husky, but most of the Huskies I have come into contact with have not been good with children. Whatever we get has to be a large breed dog. I just don't see a small terrier scaring off anyone. I would love to have any dog, but a large breed would suit us better all around.

Thoughts, opinions? What do you think would be the best dog for this position and why? I'm currently doing research on breeds now, but i figure some of you ladies would have some amazing input.