View Single Post
November 29th, 2010, 01:33 PM
Platinum Supermommy
They have no idea why my water broke. The peri who delivered Jim saw me about this time last year as we were deciding whether to TTC. My family practitioner had initally told me that because my placenta had a massive infection (they tested it after Jim was born), she thought that it was probably an infection that caused my water to break. But the peri said that because of how my cervix presented, he's pretty sure the infection came after my water broke, rather than before. So, we honestly don't know why this happened. I am certain that my water broke--I woke up in the middle of the night thinking I'd wet the bed, so it was a pretty big gush.

P17 shots are progesterone shots, and you take them once a week. I think they usually start them around 14 weeks or so, and they keep doing them until about 28 weeks from what I can tell. The idea is that they help with irritable uterus, which can cause your cervix to weaken and then your water breaks. I've talked to a couple of women who have had them and said that they could tell when it was about time for their shot because they were getting crampy, then once they had the shot, they were better. Of course, if it wasn't irritable uterus that caused your water to break, then I have no idea if they'd help, but from what I've read, they can't hurt (they're very safe).