View Single Post
November 30th, 2010, 04:15 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I could have sworn I replied to this thread before, but I guess not.

Enchilada Bake (or Taco Bake if you like taco seasoning better)
1 cup uncooked rice
1 can diced tomatoes, drained (we like a lot of tomatoes, so we use the larger can, but you can use the standard size one it you prefer)
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can corn, drained
2-4 uncooked chicken breasts, diced (use as much or as little meat as you like)
(We like a lot of onions, garlic and bell pepper in this too, but it's up to you)
2 packets enchilada seasoning
2 cups hot water

Mix everything in a 9x13 pan. The water should come up to the same level as everything else, if it doesn't, add a bit more water. I usually just eyeball this part, so I'm guessing on the water measurement.

Cover with foil and bake for an hour (or until rice is cooked). I usually have my oven set at 375 for this, but my oven runs a little hot, so that's probably closer to 400. Check it after 45 minutes. If there's no water left and the rice isn't all the way cooked add a little more.

If you like cheese, uncover, top with cheese and pop it back in the oven just to melt the cheese. Serve with soft tortilla shells. Delicious!

ETA: If you're looking for things to prep before Baby comes, multiply this recipe a couple of times, leave out the rice and use only half the water. Mix everything really well. Then divide into several gallon size zipper bags (if you did the recipe times 4, use four bags). Put the bags into the freezer flat, so you have a thin square of stuff. When you're ready to cook it, break the frozen stuff against the corner of the counter a few times. Put a cup of rice in the pan, put the frozen stuff on top, pour a cup of boiling water over the top and bake as usual. It may take an extra few minutes to bake, but no real work and dinner will be done!

Last edited by *~~Shannon~~*; November 30th, 2010 at 04:21 PM.