View Single Post
December 8th, 2010, 08:23 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodle_Jr. View Post
Many of the chariot style trailers have a hitch designed so that if the bike tips over, the trailer stays upright. Many are also designed with 5point harnesses and roll bars. There are risks for everything and we can go back and forth all day but it is our responsibility as parents to look at the risks and what we value as important in our kids safety. If a parent is comfortable wearing the kid on their back, go for it, but if a parent has done their research than they would know that it is the least safest riding option.

It's also illegal in some places to use those backpacks while bike riding.

Infant / Baby / Kid; Bicycle, Trailer, Backpack, Child Carrier, Helmet & Bike Safety

What proper precautions are there for putting an infant on a horse? The only one I know if is NOT putting them on the horse.

I just want to add that because of my job, I see people at the worst point of their lives because they or others didn't bother to take safety into consideration. I've seen what happens when you fall off of a quad and it rolls onto your head. What happens when you are riding a snowmobile and you drive it straight into a fence. I've seen what happens when people are thrown through windshields, trampled by horses, and on and on. Maybe my views of safety are skewed but I can't change that.

I have nothing else to say about this because I think I've been pretty clear on my stance.
Proper slings and carriers would be a precaution. That would be good enough for me anyways if I was an experienced rider. When we put infants in cars we put them in proper seats to ensure safety when we take them places. When we put them on a bike they are in carriers or chariots like you mentioned.