View Single Post
December 18th, 2010, 06:46 PM
Semi-crunchy Mommy
Hey Guys,

I have a question and I'd like to get an opinion on how to introduce my puppies to the new baby in May:

I have two black lab puppies, Jake and Jocelyn. I have no doubt that Jake will be terrified of baby because he's terrified of everything new. He will avoid baby as much as possible, probably for a month or so.

Jocelyn on the other hand, LOVES, LOVES, LOVES children. I mean, freaks out with sheer joy when she sees a kid. By the time baby arrives, she'll be a little over a year old, so still a puppy in labrador time. I am worried she won't be able to stay away from the baby! Every time she sees a kid, her first instinct is to lick it from head to toe. She knows "leave it" and can usually control her urges, but kids are a whole different story. It's like she simply cannot resist them. She's also incredibly strong. It takes both me and my husband to hold her back when she really wants to go somewhere.

What do you think I should do to prepare her? I'm considering getting a life-like baby doll and carrying it around at home, but it won't smell like a baby and it won't make noise like one. I know when it cries, they're both gonna get upset (I had a bad day once and cried when I got home and they ran around in circles with their tails tucked). Any suggestions?