View Single Post
January 11th, 2011, 02:27 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We introduced the potty to Lily at around a year old. We'd put her on it before bath time and after she woke up in the morning and from naps. She started peeing on it pretty quickly, but she didn't ask to use it and was still in diapers. At 17.5 months she was staying dry for over 3 hours, knew when her diaper was wet/dirty, and was staying dry overnight most nights. All of those are major signs of being ready to potty train. So I bought her underwear and put her in them. We had a handful of accidents but she freaked out whenever she had one because Lily hates being dirty. So it took her about 3 days to potty train.

She regressed for about 2 weeks when Vi was born and DH was mainly watching Lily. But then she got right back into everything and is fully trained. The only time she has an accident now is when she has a night terror she will sometimes pee because she's so freaked out. But that's pretty rare, like 2x in the last 6 months.

Lily goes on the regular toilet now and I sit Vi on the little potty before bath time and she'll pee in it. I'll probably start potty training at around 17.5/18 months with her as well. But until then I'm getting her used to the potty and she likes to pee on it.

We don't do pull-ups, we just went straight to panties.

Almost everyone on the Asian side of my family potty trains fairly young and most are potty trained before age 2. The Caucasian side of my family trains later and follows the norm for America, which is now an average age of about 3 for potty training. Large parts of the world don't even have diapers and they just learn to read the baby for potty cues (red face, etc) and hold them over a hole/dirt/etc. Americans call that "elimination communication" and some people will read the cues and then hold the baby over the toilet and not use diapers. It takes a lot of work and time though to learn the cues and everything.