View Single Post
January 13th, 2011, 03:54 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
with my second (birth center) I wanted my oldest to be there. She was the same way - fascinated by birth videos and very interested in it. As it turned out I went into labor at night and my sister came to watch her. She woke up not long before the baby was born, but made it to the birth center in time to see her emerge. She was 23 months and loved getting to see her sister born. I think it helped a ton with bonding and jealousy issues.

Third baby (home birth) both my older girls were there. I had my sister "in charge" of them. By the time they got up in the morning I had been laboring a while and they just sort of quietly watched and asked me a few questions here and there. The only annoying part was Nola (then almost 2.5) wanting to me close to me and so she would bump up against the tub frequently which was bothersome. After a little while my sister took them to their room to color for a bit. They came out a few minute before the baby was born and got to watch.

I think it's important to make it seem normal to them and not scary. Having her watch birth videos is great for helping her understand what will happen and help her get used to seeing women in labor. I just recommend having a specific person (someone she trusts) be her caretaker. Someone who can gently remove her from the room if she is bothersome or scared and can talk her through what's going on if she's nervous.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!