View Single Post
January 19th, 2011, 03:29 PM
Mega Super Daddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiMommy View Post
Why exactly should a brain incapable of processing anything need to be taken into account?
Because I am concerned about the well-being of people. A being with a brain that is incapable of processing anything has no well-being related concerns.

Quote:
I know of no evidence, either, but depending on someone's views, they may believe in them, and I felt that their possible existence should be stated in my views. If there was an existence of souls, when exactly would they be there? At birth? Conception?
I don't believe in any sort of soul and have seen no evidence of any such thing. It is not an issue of concern for me. The fact that people believe in souls doesn't mean that it is something anyone should take seriously.

Quote:
Of course an unfertilized egg deserves to be fertilized! But the point of the matter is that NATURE decides if and when an egg will be fertilized. Who are we to play mother nature and decide if a child should or should not be allowed to have life?
An egg, fertilized or not, has not performed an action which merits some sort of response. This would be like saying that a rock deserves to roll downhill. "Nature" is not a prescriptive term regarding what should be done, it is a descriptive term that describes what happens in reality. Nature doesn't "decide" anything.

Quote:
I fully agree with your statement. But I believe that a child is a child the moment of conception, therefore I consider it destroying a child.
I think you are playing very loose with the word "child". I'm going to have to ask that you define the word "child". Please do it in such a way that differentiates it from other organisms. Please also list a few attributes of a child which differentiates it from animals. That way we can compare a fertilized egg with the definition of a child to see if they match up.

Quote:
The "Cells" bit was for those who believe that the child is just a "bundle of cells". Which may be true at conception, but the child quickly becomes something with a heart, body, head, etc. Do cells have a heart? No.
For the sake of the discussion, let's use the extreme ends of the spectrum of development since we both agree that at some point a fertilized egg becomes a person (fertilized egg vs. 8 month old fetus).

Quote:
So what you're saying is that only some women feel guilt for taking the life of something that they had created? That only some wish they could carry the child to term and raise it? I know of nobody who doesn't feel any guilt for their choice. They may move on and act like it doesn't bother them, but it still does. They took a life into their own hands and destroyed it.
Again, you are throwing around the terms "child" and "a life" rather loosely. I don't believe that a fertilized egg fits the definition of a child or "a life". I also don't think you have the authority to speak about what other women feel.