View Single Post
January 28th, 2011, 09:01 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3OhioBoys View Post
Don't be afraid of discount stores like Aldi. I swear I bought the best pineapple there once.

I dream of having a huge garden and canning a lot but I don't know that that will ever happen.
Aldis was a good place for us to get fruit before we moved! The only thing I've been weary about buying there is meat. Mostly because we've had a bad experience before. Fruit/dairy/boxed/canned etc has always been fine for us.

For us now.. In the summer I have a pretty large garden that I get quite a bit from. I did carrots, tomatoes, pumpkin, acorn squash. strawberries, lots of herbs, eggplant, jalepenos, bell peppers, broccoli, onions and green beans. All of that stuff except the tomatoes (unless you make something out of them first) freeze really well, so we grow and freeze for later.

Farmer's markets are awesome here too. We stocked up on some of the stuff we didn't grow and prepped/froze that stuff too. We don't have any local places that are exclusively produce. There was a place in Rochester, MN that I would go to sometimes. It got pricey in the winter though.

There are some fruits that grow wild here that we pick then prep/freeze. Raspberries, blackberries and apples. The apples aren't really the ones you can just eat though, they're baking apples but they freeze and keep very well.

Then for actual winter I just have to go with what is on sale! Lately we've seen a lot of sales on apples, citrus, bananas, mangoes (ds loves these for breakfast!), kiwi, lettuces and carrots. I wish a sale for avocadoes would pop up. I've been craving them.

Stay at home mom to two:
Jacob 03/17/2009
Benjamin 03/18/2011