View Single Post
February 12th, 2011, 10:42 PM
Platinum Supermommy
It sounds like we might be moving-dh's employers are working at creating a manager's job for him, back in the area where he grew up. His parents currently live 8 hours away from us, he has no siblings, but lots of close cousins and aunts/uncles. We'd be back to rural living, but 2.5 hours to the city, vs 5 hours from here. His parents would give us a piece of land, and the kids would go to the same K-12 school that dh went to Small school, small communities, and we would ALWAYS know what our kids were up to All of his cousins are our age, with little kids, and we get along well with them.
Right now we have no support here, my parents are gone, my sisters are in their 50's and live 2.5 hours away, but refuse to help us with the kids at all; they like to show up every 3 months bearing gifts, but that's it. If we need help, my MIL has to come down to stay with us. But they're cattle farmers, so they can't do that often. I'm scared, but I know it would be a good thing. I'd still keep my online teaching job, with a bit of travel back here, but I can fly or drive. And I could work at the hospital there if I had to, I'm very flexible and experienced. Once my mom died, I couldn't imagine leaving here, but now I can, maybe its time?

Right now we're looking at house plans: since the land is free, and we can build using FIL's work plan for cost building, we're looking at building a six bedroom two storey, with wrap around porch, and three car garage. I'm looking 5000 sq ft minimum, with no basement. And I want a guest bedroom on the main floor, along with an office. If I'm gonna live in the sticks, I might as well have a wicked house 7 bedrooms might be overkill, hey? But if its cheap to build, then why not? I don't think I'll ever complain about having too much space. I want 5 small kids' bedrooms on the 2nd floor, plus my master with ensuite and walk ins, and I also want a big rec room on the 2nd floor. As the kids get older, I know they'll spend more time in there, and I want to know where they're at. Main floor will have office, 7th bedroom with full bath, main floor laundry, half bath, big kitchen, mudroom, wip, maybe formal dining room, nook, and one or two livingrooms. I want a hot tub on the wrap around deck.

Am I missing anything? We'd have to sell this house for sure in order to leave, and continue to rent out our city house with friends managing it, but it sounds like they could be ready for us to be there in 6 months, right after baby gets here. That means building the house over the summer, likely living in a trailer in the yard while it builds-roughing it, lol! It looks like we'd be building literally across the road from the IL"s, but free land is free land, right? And that part is completely treed for privacy, perfect! Can you tell I'm trying to sell myself on the idea of leaving? Anyone know of any house plans that meet those requirements? I'm having no luck finding anything, I might just meet with a blue print company next week with dh.

Tell me not to be scared, okay?

Lucky mother to five!