View Single Post
February 13th, 2011, 05:40 PM
~Melissa~
Hi, Bree--I recognize your siggy from the October Due Date of the Month group We're expecting baby #1 (due Oct. 4th) and are planning a home birth. I've been lurking on the home birth board for a couple days and came across your message...
My DH was definitely not keen on the idea of doing a home birth initially, but his mind changed a lot when we:

1. met with the midwives. He had no idea how incredibly skilled and experienced they would be. The midwives that we're working with provided a really detailed account of their training and experience. They also provided answers to a lot of typically asked questions (e.g., transfer rate, etc.). This put his mind at ease a lot.
2. watched "The Business of Being Born". Seriously, this was what really convinced him in the end and helped him to truly understand all of the reasons why I don't want to deliver in a hospital.

My DH's bday was just a couple weeks ago, and a friend of ours got him the book, "The Birth Partner" by Penny Simkin. I think reading more about what his role can and will be during labor also helped to put his mind at ease.

Good luck, ladies!