View Single Post
February 26th, 2011, 07:16 PM
Veteran
Missy- I think it is because a pain free woman is easier to work with. They can tell them when to push, when not to push, and how to push. I think it just makes things more "manageable" for them.

My first I made the mistake of saying I was going to try to go natural. As a result, I was asked numerous times if I wanted the epi and after DAYS of contractions I caved and said yes. Long story short, getting the epi was so uncomfortable due to me having strong contraction at the time. It didn't really work. I could feel the catheter (urine) and hated that feeling. I hated not being able to get up for so long after delivering. It just wasn't a good experience.

The second time I said, with confidence and with my husband on the exact same page that I did not want an epi. I made it clear from the beginning and no one really gave me a hard time. Labor is hard work and I felt it but I loved the experience. For me, the best part was delivering at 7 pm and sitting in a recliner eating pizza at 9 pm. I had and enjoyed an adrenaline high from pushing out my baby! Plus, I think knowing when I needed to push and pushing when I felt the urge helped me to deliver my huge fella (10lb3oz) with only a minor tear (needed only one little stitch). I will admit that there was a moment during labor that I told my husband that I would never go natural again but within moments of delivery I was so proud of what I had done that I am eager to have a natural birth experience again!!
---6 early losses---
Joey- 7/15/10