View Single Post
March 12th, 2011, 03:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I just wanted to add a few thing. My oldest DS has amblyopia and esotropia. Sounds bad, but basically "lazy eye" and eyes that already had a tendency to cross. He was diagnosed at 5 months, patched for what seemed like forever, had surgery at 10 months. He is now 3.5 years and is showing that his eyes are crossing again. Looks like more patching, glasses or surgery are in our future... That is just our story.

Really poor sight (far sightedness) can also be the cause of misalignment. She may not need patching or any surgery, it just might be poor eye sight. For our situation, the brain is the one that is confused, not the eyes. The PP is right, the brain will eventually shut off the "lazy eye" and that eye can lose vision permenently! It is so important to get it checked and I am so glad you are. Eye surgery, in our case, is cosmetic. The brain has to figure out that it needs both eyes. A HUGE percentage of kids that have surgery, need repeated surgery. So, hopefully it won't get that far. Good luck at the eye doctor!!!