View Single Post
March 15th, 2011, 04:26 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I've technically never had a NCB because I'm one of those with complicating factors and I've needed to be induced with each of my three children. I have had three labors without pain meds, however, and have been quite happy with my birth experiences. I don't think you have to worry that you are "asking or hoping for too much" because it isn't one of those things that you can just "hope" for....you have to plan for it, prepare for it, and work for it. And if you are willing to do those things, good for you. Your baby will actually have less chance of complications (I know, the risk factors for meds, etc are small----I'm not knocking anyone who chooses them). My mindset is always that I WANT a NCB and am willing to work for it....but I will be educated enough to know when interventions are necessary for the health of my baby and I won't hesitate if that is the case. I'm not one of those people that is so against things like epidurals that I would be devastated if I were in a situation like Jess described above. If I was looking at a section, I'd certainly try the epi first. I fully believe that it is great to have a clear picture of how you want it to go and then to prepare for the experience you want while keeping the health of your baby your main priority.

As far as your fears about your ectopic, etc....have you looked into having a doula? Mine was a tremendous help with going as natural as possible in a hospital setting. If possible, find one who has worked a lot in the hospital you plan to deliver in...preferrably someone who knows hospital staff and someone they respect. Maybe even ask your OB if they have been impressed with someone they've worked with??

3 angels Feb, Mar, Aug of 2008