View Single Post
March 18th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Hiya!
First, can I say that you are incredibly good at voicing your feelings and giving sensible advice or "real world" knowledge to all the ladies on here. I really enjoy hearing what you have to say on a topic

That said...I am struggling with the same thoughts this pregnancy. I had a natural childbirth, in a hospital, with a midwife with Liam. I loved every second of it. I never went in "absolutely NCB" or anything like that. I just said I would know what my body needed and go with that. I got to the hospital 8cm dilated (not especially by choice, I did not know I was in real labor), was there for two hours, pushed for 30 minutes and he was here. I was moving around the whole time and never really felt I 'needed' an epi. We had very little monitoring/checking and no meds at all (no IV or antibiotics needed). The only, only thing I would change about it was pushing position. I even considered looking into a birthing center or homebirth for number two.

NOW, I feel differently. I am not sure I really actually trust my body anymore and I also have a clotting disorder that may preclude any hopes of a natural childbirth this time. I still really want one though. I want to look back at my birth of this child and feel as much magic as I did with Liam. I want to nurse right away. I want my baby to be as alert as possible. I WANT all the pain/sensations that come with NCB. And the rush I felt after he was born. I feel in my heart it is best for babies. BUT, what if it is not best for MY baby? I am going to have a long road of questions ahead of me. I don't know my OB's plan for the future of my pregnancy or delivery and I need to talk to him before making any real plans. Thankfully, he is in a midwife practice, so he might be open to a more natural labor than if he was a MFM doc or something.

I think the ladies are right...this is NOT too much to ask. And even though your body might not have had the best "track-record" in the past, it doesn't mean it won't ROCK at this and you will be able to have an amazing NCB. Keep reading and preparing as much as you can. But I do think having an open mind and being aware is going to be your best option in the hospital. You will be aware of your choices and what they can mean. And you can pick what you feel is best. Because, at the end of the day, you have to be content that you made the best choices for you and your little girl.