View Single Post
March 27th, 2011, 07:10 PM
Ephesians 4:29
Don't apologize! Happy to help!

1. What made you decide to homeschool? Several factors for me. (1) I want God to take priority and not a back seat. (2) My son is way ahead in some areas and behind in others. We talked to the public school, and they were unwilling to work with him in both... it was an either/or sort of thing, and they didn't come close to meeting either need, no matter what. (3) I used to teach public school, and I don't like the changes I've seen over the past 30 years. Kindergarten today isn't what it used to be. I don't want my kids dealing with the junk kids deal with today.

2. What age is customary to begin "formally" homeschooling? Depends on your line of thinking. Some people prefer to start "formally" teaching (even if only for 10 minutes a day) right from infancy, and some use a "better late than early" approach, and don't formally teach anything until much later... 8-10 years old. There are also some who are radical unschoolers on the farthest end of the spectrum who prefer their kids to learn through life, and that's it. I think *most* people still pretty much start around age 5-6 like public schools do, though (for kinder... not preschool). As long as you're following state laws, it really doesn't matter. I start preschool at age 2. That's just me, though.

3. What is the true first step? Is it notifying the local school district? The first step is to learn the laws of your state. Where are you?

4. Do you find that you are mostly supported by friend, family, neighbors or not so much? I'm supported very well. Some people aren't supported at all (other than forums like this one).

Last edited by BensMom; March 27th, 2011 at 09:22 PM.