View Single Post
March 27th, 2011, 10:41 PM
DOh!
1. What made you decide to homeschool?
The local schools here are not up to the standards they ought to be, despite what "state records" may show. An "effective" school is not good enough for my kids. They simply are not giving my children the best education they can. We also have a bit of a unique situation here, which could change at the drop of a hat. I need to have the least amount of steps required when/if that happens.(ie. not having to deal with schools and removal/switching, yadda yadda)

2. What age is customary to begin "formally" homeschooling?
I think most start at kindergarten age-between 4 and 6-for the most part. We started basic learning far younger though. I've never really considered that homeschooling though, either. For me it was just what I did, just part of parenting, I guess.

3. What is the true first step? Is it notifying the local school district?
First you need to know your local rules and regulations and your state rules and regulations. Some states still say the district decides(ie local) and some have state representatives and specific rules for the entire state. It all depends on where you are. So I would go with that first. You should also start looking around for ideas, what you're looking for in a curriculum. Do you want an all in one? Piece part a curriculum together? Perhaps trying an e-school. There's tons of options out there, and loads of information. It never hurts to start looking through it. I also highly recommend allowing your child(ren) to have a voice. That's just my personal opinion though, that kids should have a bit of say in what they learn. Maybe not the last word, lol mom always knows best. But some involvement in the curriculum choice certainly doesn't hurt.

4. Do you find that you are mostly supported by friend, family, neighbors or not so much?
I don't really have any friends that aren't online, so that doesn't really apply here. Our neighbors couldn't really care less, lol. The only ones we talk to are the ones directly next door. My kids play with their little guy, he's Leo's age. But he goes to a local Catholic school. My mom is super supportive, as is her hubby. My kids' father...eh...that's a sore subject. Suffice it to say he does not approve, takes whatever opportunity he gets to make sure we know it...but we don't really pay him much mind. He doesn't get a choice in the matter. Then again, neither does anyone else, but the kids and I, lol.