View Single Post
March 28th, 2011, 10:04 AM
Veteran
Thanks to all of you who have shared. I am actually a former Special Education teacher so I have classroom teaching experience but I think it is just part of my personality that I turn everything into a learning experience. We talk about fractions when I cut his sandwiches or I am baking. We have learned our letters and numbers by just pointing them out whenever there is an opportunity. So, like Michelle pointed out, I guess I never really think of it as school just my responsibility as a parent.

I guess where I get the most nervous about really committing is that I barely have time to do laundry and dishes as it is. I am scared that I am not going to have the time to commit to "teaching time" especially as I am hoping for another kid or two before all is said and done. I am just so nervous that I will short change my kids if I am responsible for their education and I am trying to change diapers, nurse, cook, clean, etc. I guess I just need to hear that it is doable. That I won't be selling them short by homeschooling.

I am in Ohio. It sounds like I don't have to formally make any decisions for a couple more years as my ODS just turned 3 in Feb.

And as a special note to TofuBacon- While I don't have a child with Autism I know how challenging it can be to deal with all of the intricacies of the, often, high needs. I am sure you have a great team (or at least I hope you do) but if you ever need some help with shaping behaviors, my most recent work was with writing behavior support plans for a county board of MRDD. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help. Seriously. I would love to help, if I can.
---6 early losses---
Joey- 7/15/10