View Single Post
April 5th, 2011, 01:02 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I BF my 2 for almost 19 months. BFing twins is not easy, but it can be done. My 2 didn't nurse well in the beginning. I would BF and then feed them pumped milk from a bottle at every day time feeding. After the first 2 weeks of virtually no sleep, I decided that I would not BF at all at night. I pumped and fed them bottles at night until they were almost 3 months old. At that point, they were faster at BFing than pumping and bottle feeding and they rejected bottles.

I suggest you do what works for you when the time comes. Pumping and bottle feeding really worked for us until A&E got good at nursing, but that doesn't work for everyone. I was determined to BF and not use formula, but would have gotten a lot more sleep if I had used formula. Some people are perfectly happy with supplementing with formula and it works great for them.

If you do decide to pump, you have to do it often to up your supply. You can't expect to pump a couple times a day and provide for the kiddos. For me, I pumped every time they were up at night. I made sure I was drinking a ton of water and enough food. I also made sure I kept pumping after my first letdown. This let my body know to produce more milk and my supply was awesome. If I had relied on them nursing I fully believe that my supply would have been awful since they were so bad at nursing at first.

Some people find a twin nursing pillow really helpful. We used one for the first couple weeks and then moved onto just a couple regular pillows. I loved the nursing pillow for when they were tiny, but can't imagine using it long term. Lots of people do though.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

Last edited by Celry; April 5th, 2011 at 05:49 PM.