View Single Post
April 8th, 2011, 02:21 PM
DOh!
If you're worried about her getting bored, involve her in the process more. "What would you like to learn today". Take a gander at what you find in stores(dollar stores are superb for this, actually), and see what peaks her interest. Does she have favorites-colors, hobbies, etc..? If so, involve those too. It's super easy to do a lot of teaching/learning with very minimal work involved.
I personally believe that the preschool ages are some of the most amazing ages to teach, as well as the easiest, lol. Everything is fascinating. Granted all kids are just sponges, but little ones are like big fat sponges that can hold way more, and are always thirsty for more. I find it way easier when the kids have a say in what's going to happen. If you want to get into a routine, it will serve you both well to make sure she's part of developing that routine.
"So what do you think we should do after breakfast everyday?"
"What things do you want to learn/know about?"
"What could we do for quiet activities?"
Etc..
All questions you're asking yourself anyway when you create your routine or your ideal "day". Might as well ask her what her ideal day would be, take her cues and run with it. Not everyday will be the same, and some will be way short, while others may be real long. But I really do feel when a child has a say in what's going to happen, they're more receptive. Just been my personal experience anyway. Aside from my own kids, I have taught preschool as well. Despite having other teachers tell me how "wrong" it was to ask the kids what they would like to do. Our class times went way smoother than any other class around us, lol. Couldn't have been that far off