View Single Post
April 12th, 2011, 01:11 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I've been lurking around here for a few weeks now and thought since you all seem so nice and supportive, I would come ask a few questions.

We're considering homeschooling our daughter. My DH isn't sure he's comfortable sending her to the public schools here and almost all the private schools in our area (that we could afford) are religious, which we are not. My DH and I are both eager to learn more about homeschooling, are liking how flexible the day/school year can be, how we can tailor her education to meet her needs, etc.

My biggest concern is the typical one - socialization. We are not planning on anymore children, so our daughter will be an only child. Like I mentioned, we're not religious so we don't belong to a church community. We have enrolled her in a dance class in the past, and are planning to continue that as well as gymnastics or any other activity she becomes interested in as she gets older. We also hope to encourage some volunteer experience as she gets older as well. I hope she'll make friends in these types of situations; I just worry that I would do a disservice to her by keeping her at home with me. She's already on the shy side and doesn't like to share.

I would love to hear your thoughts, opinions, experiences with this aspect of homeschooling. Are there other social situations I can expose her to that I'm just not aware of? While I want to give her the best education I can, I also don't want her to feel too lonely, ya know? Thanks so much for anything you can share.